Final Exam Chaos

6 12 2011

Last Friday, I had my first 2 final exams. It is extremely important to do well on the final exams, because 100% of the final grade is the grade from the final exam. My first exam was for my Norwegian Art History class and started at 9am (we were supposed to be there 15 minutes before the start time); I woke up and looked at my phone, it was 8:30! I have never gotten vertical so fast in my life! I jumped out of bed, changed clothes while calling my friend that is in that class, grabbed my bag, and hurried to the T-bane. My friend was nice enough to agree to beg the proctors to let me show up late and let me know as soon as they arrived after she talked to them. In the mean time, I made it to the T-bane and headed towards campus. After I got off the T-bane, she texted me saying I could come up to a half hour late and they would still let me in. I still kept trucking; I hate being late! I’m usually the one that is there 15 minutes early just because. I made to the classroom at 8:55 and had just enough time to catch my breathe before they handed out the exam.

Now this class covered a lot of information in just one semester. That being said, my friend and I were both a bit worried about what would actually be on the exam. The exams over here are mostly all written exams consisting of a few short answer questions and an essay question. They usually offer a few different questions and then it is just required that you pick a certain number of them to do. For example, our art final had four short answer questions and we had to pick two of them to answer, and it also had two essay questions and we had to pick one of them to answer. Luckily, there were two short answers and one essay that completely knew the answer to. In fact, the essay question I chose was to describe all the different aspects of Vigelandsparken; for my Norwegian Life & Society course, I had written a whole paper on Vigelandsparken about a month ago and bought a book on Vigeland. All I had to do was remember what I wrote in that paper and there was my answer, how convenient. 🙂 Fortunately, I got done with that final in less than the four hours allotted and had time to run back to my apartment to freshen up and look like a real person again.

I went straight back towards campus to meet my friend for a quick lunch and then went back to campus to study for about an hour and a half before I had to be at my next final. The second exam was for my Norwegian Life & Society class. This exam had the same layout where we could pick what questions to answer. I didn’t know all the topics as well as I did on my previous exam, but I knew enough to answer all of the questions adequately. After a couple hours in that exam, my write hand was feeling the “burn” from all that writing! My first exam was about 10 pages long and the second was 8 pages long. That’s a lot more writing than I am used to in one day!

When I got out of my second exam, I had a text from one of my Norwegian friends asking me to join him for a pub quiz. These pub quizzes are pretty popular in Norway, and we had been trying to make one work since about August, but each time he was either working or I was busy or traveling, so I figured I should definitely go this time since I’m leaving so soon and we both were free. My friend, Paolina, ended up joining us as well because she also was curious as to what all the fuss is about when it comes to these pub quizzes. I had about an hour and half before the pub quiz started, so I once again ran back to my apartment, changed, dropped off my bags, and headed back to the T-bane to meet Paolina; we were going to make it just in time before it was supposed to start. Unfortunately, Paolina just missed the T-bane at her stop and had to wait about 15 minutes for the next one. Luckily, my Norwegian friend said it would be fine if we were late. So we finally headed downtown, hopped off the T-bane, took a 15 minute ride on a trikk, got off and went and found the pub. The cute, Irish pub was packed when we got there and the quizzing had already started. The quiz had a few different rounds; the first two were random trivia questions pertaining to everything from European pop culture to Disney movie characters to world history, and it was all in Norwegian! I was able to translate most of the questions, but still didn’t know most of the answers; I blamed it on the fact that my brian was exhausted from all of my test taking that day. The last few rounds were music trivia and we were able to answer a few more questions during those rounds. Even though we didn’t know much of the trivia, Paolina and I had a blast! My friend and his friends were hilarious and my face was sore at the end of the night from all of the laughing! After the pub quiz, we grabbed a kebab and headed home. I’m so glad that I got over my tiredness and made it to the pub quiz; we should have made it work a long time ago! 🙂

This week I have my oral exam in my Norwegian course and my written exam is next week so I’ll be spending a lot of time studying up on my Norwegian skills, but hopefully I can fit in a few last minute Norwegian adventures since I leave in only a week and a half! I can’t believe how this semester has flown by!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: